Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

First Week of Summer - Friday Favorites

It's the end of the first week of summer.  As always, there is much to be grateful for, so I am joining, again today with Susanne and friends over at Living to Tell the Story for Friday's Fave Five. 

Rain! - after 31 days of unseasonably hot and dry weather, Thursday was much cooler and we got a good amount of rain. Many have been praying for rain, and this storm, with the cooler temperatures, are truly a blessing.  

Hiking at the Jordan River Trail - I mentioned this in my weekend post, but I have am really enjoying these weekly walk/hikes with Josh.  We plan to keep going on these river hikes as time and weather permit. 

Cleaning up and clearing out - I have been trying to clean and organize around the house.  I reorganized my bookshelves, and cleaned and reorganized some things in the office.  We listed some things on KSL.com, which is like Craigslist - a free listing service sponsored by a local TV station here in Utah.  Last weekend, I posted this old antique chair that a neighbor gave us about a year ago, a small fridge that I used in my classroom in Arizona, and some stackable plastic drawers that Charly had is his classroom in Arizona.  We had sold all three items for our asking prices by the end of the weekend.  

Reading nook - I have been wanting to create a little reading nook in our bedroom, for a while.  Our bedroom is not huge, so I needed to find a small and comfy chair that I could put in a corner next to my nightstand.  I found this nice little chair at a thrift store.  The chair fits me just perfectly, and is so comfortable.   I love my  new little reading nook. 

New cabinet - after we found the new chair for my reading nook, we found this nice little cabinet in another thrift store, and got it for less than $8! It is just perfect for a little extra storage space for office supplies and is now next to Charly's bookshelf in our office.  The cabinet replaced the ugly stackable plastic drawers, that we cleaned out and sold on KSL.com (see above). 

Empty nester dinner - Monday night was our monthly empty nester dinner.  Charly and I really enjoy being part of this group. We are among the younger members of the group, and everyone in the group is so nice and friendly. 

After dinner, the group gathered in the game room at our HOA clubhouse and played Bingo.  It was really fun. 

Yard clean up - we finally got our yard care company over to our rental house to weed and clean-up the yard for the new tenants.  The house and yard look super nice now.  We are hoping that the new tenants keep it that way. 

Lunch with a friend - Thursday I met up with my good friend Sandy and we did a little shopping and had a delicious Mexican lunch. I hadn't seen Sandy for well over a year and this was the first time, since before Covid, that I have dined in a restaurant.   

Thrift store finds - In additions to lunch, Sandy and I went "treasure hunting" in some thrift stores.  At this thrift store,  I found several good things.

My favorite was these brand new, still-in-the-box, boots. I love wearing cute boots in the winter, so I was excited to find these  boots marked way down. 

A clerk at the thrift store told me that the department store Macy's made a donation of merchandise to this thrift store, that helps those who are in addiction recovery programs get back on their feet.  You can see that these brand-new boots originally sold for $99 at Macy's and I got them for $7. I love a good thrift store find. 

Hummingbirds - I have mentioned before how much I love watching the hummingbirds at the feeders in  my backyard.  Usually, there is only one bird at one feeder, but the other night two hummingbirds were eating at the same time, one at each feeder. 

Not a favorite - Monday morning while we were out for our walk, I got a message from one of Charly's cousin, that his Aunt Mary Joyce passed. She was Charly's mother's younger sister. She was 86 and had an aggressive form of cancer that was only discovered in May. Aunt Mary Joyce's funeral will be Friday, and we will be attending.  She was a very nice person and always treated Charly and I very well.   I am sure she is now in heaven having a very happy reunion with her husband who passed about two years ago. 

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by. 
😊Deb💙

"Let us be grateful to people to make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar